Ok I have to admit this was a new one on me when I found it on Instagram, but it was so intriguing that I had to give it a shot. Boy am I glad I did.
Smoking the Roma tomatoes adds a subtle smokey and a deeper tomato flavor than canned roasted tomatoes will give. Usually I get the canned fire roasted diced tomatoes when making sauce or chili, but no more I can make the smoked Roma tomatoes in the same amount of time as running to the grocery store and back home.
Fire up your smoking vessel to 250 with your choice of wood , I used a combination of Hickory and Mesquite. I would not recommend a fruit wood such as cherry or apple unless you like a sweeter taste in your tomato based sauces.
While the smoker is coming up to temp it is time to prep the tomatoes. There actually in not alot of prep to these, simply slice them lengthwise and season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Using a disposable foil tray, or do as I did and make a tray out of a roll of foil. Place your sliced tomatoes in the tray cut side up and then place in the smoker.
Keeping the temp between 225-250 smoke the tomatoes for 40-45 minutes. When done place the tomatoes in a bowl and carefully pour and juice from your tray into the same bowl.
Let the tomatoes rest for a few minutes then gently pull the skin off the tomatoes and discard the skin. Last step is the messiest squeeze the smoked tomatoes into your sauce. If you prefer you could use a mesh sieve to strain out the tomato seeds.
- 1 lb Roma Tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Get smoking vessel up to 250
- Slice tomatoes lengthwise
- place on foil tray cut side up
- season with salt and pepper
- place in smoker cut side up
- smoke for 40-45 minutes keeping temp between 225-250
- remove from smoker placing tomatoes and excess juice into a bowl
- remove and discard skin from outside of tomatoes
- squeeze tomatoes into sauce or chili.